Pages

14 January, 2013

The student who was there...

The last day before the break, I received a note from the lovely secretaries that I was losing a student. E had moved twice during the school year and had to walk over a mile to and from school each day. His mother, understandably, was sick of the walks. I sadly signed the papers. He left that day without a goodbye and I thought I would never see him again. The day after the break came and went. I cleaned out his desk and threw everything away. I moved on. When the following day arrived, I received word that I would receive a new student. I took the old student's desk and prepped it for a new student. As I chatted with a coworker, explaining all the arrivals and departures I have had recently, I happened to throw out, "Well, E moved so the new student will bring me back up to 32." As I said that, we walked into the office to see my student, E, sitting there. Awkward. "Uh....E! What are you doing here?" How do you explain to a nine-year-old that you tossed all their belongings and gave their desk away? Apparently his mother did not realize that they were supposed to move back in December. Okay. I can deal with this student in my class for one random day. The day came and went. He left. I hugged him goodbye and wished him well. He was back the next day. I was so confused. I finally got the vice principal to call his mother to tell her I do not run a day care for students that randomly want to show up. That darling boy approached me as the school day ended to inquire about homework due the next day. Lovely boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment