Pages

01 April, 2012

The second worst day to be sick in April

What have you done to distract your body?
Today I woke up with that ever so familiar pain in my abdomen. Something I ate yesterday was fighting with my digestive system. Usually if I ignore it, it goes away within a couple hours. Wolf and I ate some German apple pancakes and settled down to watch conference. After being spiritually uplifted and feeling extra edified, I curled up in bed and consequently fell asleep. About 45 minutes after I dozed off, Wolf came to wake me up. I thought it was just a dream because I could have sworn he started to talk to me about the metric system. Strange. He told me that he came in, rubbed my back, and after I woke up, I turned on my stomach and would not look at him. Assuming I was upset with him, he left.
I got up and felt even worse than in the morning. We watched the last session of conference, I ate some Indian food, and got ready to head to my parents'.
Halfway across Orem, Wolf announced he wasn't feeling terribly well and would I mind if he sat this one out? Obvious concerned wife answer here.
Once at my childhood home, I began to feel worse. I only ate a bit of food and wanted to be curled up in my bed again.
I stayed for only a couple of hours and then my darling cousin Christine offered to take me home. She dropped me off at my adorable apartment complex and I scampered up to my apartment, very eager to get to where a toilet was. I rang the doorbell as I had not taken my keys. No answer. I knocked an annoying knock like you do when you are at someone's house you know very well. No answer. I called Wolf. He was just leaving Pleasant Grove.
Oh dear.
In my mind I was calculating how much time I had to stand there. 15-20 minutes. I was holding some clothes that I brought back from my dad's (about half of my shoe collection is still in my old bedroom). I started to get nervous. Something was not happy in my stomach and it wanted out. Rocking my body, I studied the door. I breathed through my mouth. Anything to keep my mind off of the explosion about to happen. I started to become aware that I might spew in front of my door. I know our next door neighbors relatively well, but how do you explain that you need to use their toilet to throw up because your husband was supposed to be home when you arrived but he had to leave and now you are locked out? I could tell they were not home anyways. I began to bounce a little more, trying to soothe my body. Where would I go that was close by where I could throw up?
Then the emotions began. I have always had a history of crying just before and just after I throw up. I prayed fervently that nobody would walk by before my husband arrived. Finally, just as I was deciding which piece of clothing I was least attached to so as not to get anything on the floor, I heard a car park in the parking lot and a very hurried person approaching the building.
It had to be.
If it wasn't, I would beg them to allow me to use their facilities.
Seeing Wolf rush up quickened the emotions. He opened the door and I rushed in, dumping everything on the floor and running into the bathroom.
I barely made it.
My darling husband cleaned up and fed me medicine. I am so thankful for him.
Lots of students I know of, when they get sick, they just want to be home with their mom or someone else taking care of them. The last time I remember my mother taking care of me when I was sick was when I was about 5 or 6 and I was bad enough that I was hallucinating. I have gotten used to being so independent that it feels nice to have someone take care of you when you are unwell.

Prayers and well wishes that I will get better by tomorrow are acceptable; I will be at the most nerve wracking interview of my life so far and I cannot let anything pull me down.

1 comment:

  1. Lois! What a horrible time to get sick! Poor thing. I will pray for you and see you at the interviews tomorrow. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete