08 April, 2012

Back to Elementary School

I week ago I posted that I had a bad case of food poisoning. Real bad. Like I threw up twice and my darling hubby cleaned it up for me and gave me a blessing bad. I love my Wolf.
Well, Monday rolled around and I was not having the best morning. I felt wretched. If it had been any other day I would have stayed in bed. Staying in bed is not an option when you have fifteen minutes to impress principals enough to hire you.
I got to school and thankfully my illness prohibited me from feeling nervous. My students helped put me at ease and my darling cohort friend, Brooke, even offered to drive us to the interview.
After locating where the nearest bathroom was to the interviewing rooms (just in case), we marched in the first room of principals and facilitators. Fifteen minutes went by and I felt calm and relaxed. No sick feelings for me! Room number two's fifteen minutes brought about queazy feelings. I held my stomach and prayed with all my might. I had already run an excuse with my friends I was interviewing with. In case of me needing to leave in a rush, they would tell the principals I just cared too much about the students and needed a minute. I love those girls.
I left the second room feeling relieved.
We chatted with our professors that had come to the interview. They told us we would receive a call that same day. If it was a 702 number, we were not supposed to answer it. It would be one of the professors telling us we were a no go and "it will just be better for us both if you do not answer."
Brooke and I lunched at Kneaders. Well, Brooke lunched and I nibbled on bread and sipped Sprite thinking to myself how happy Wolf was going to be because I was brining home a loaf of ciabatta.
We knew not to expect a call the rest of the time we were in the school, but I still checked on occasion. I was glad that my mentor teacher was teaching the rest of the day.
On my way to work, I called Wolf to tell him about how things were going. He offered to meet me at work for about an hour to make sure my mind was off the phone call I was going to receive later and to have someone to babble to. Wolf arrived at the office just after I did and sat patiently as I discussed the usual with my girls.
A customer called to ask questions about pettiskirts (who cares about pettiskirts at a time like this?) and I patiently told her the information she had already received. As I talked, I happened to look at my cell phone. Someone was calling me. It was an 801 number.
I froze.
"Hey, can I put you on hold for just a second?" Pretty, pretty please?
I put my thumb over the speaker of the work phone and picked up my cell.
"Laura? This is Aaron Stevenson." I froze and seriously almost peed my pants. Aaron was my principal at Orchard.
He went on to offer me an intern position. The intern position that I wanted. The one that I dreamed about but did not think about too much for fear of not receiving it. 4th grade. My old elementary school. Everything was perfect.
Wolf was chuckling to himself a bit during the brief conversation I had with my future boss. I was dancing in place and could not stop smiling.
I hung up with Mr. Stevenson and then quickly finished my call with the customer.
"I got it! I'm at Orchard!"
"Fourth grade!"
I think I squealed a bit. Loud enough for my coworkers in the other room to hear.
How many people get to work their dream job? I think I am a pretty lucky girl.

Oh, and if you have any school supplies or books that you would like to donate, I will not say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment